Search This Blog

Sunday, July 13, 2014

The new destination – Chennai

Though it has been quite some time since I have written anything, this idle Sunday afternoon reminded me of one of my old interest- Blogging.  It has been long time since I shared my feelings through this blog; hence there is lot which I want to speak of.

My Life: Life is moved into a new phase- from being just a bachelor to better half of Sucheta and now a father to be (Yipeeeeee). I feel like many things have changed in so little time, and I am rest assured that they have changed only for good. I can see a great future standing in front of me.

Opportunity: As they say opportunities keep coming in life. One has to keep its eyes wide open to recognize one and to make the most out of it. Such happened to me around a year back. An opportunity to work with an investment bank came by my way and I instantly grabbed it. However, this new stint was supposed to be in a different city- Chennai. Not very sure of what was waiting for me in store of future; I took up this challenge and decided to shift my base to cultural capital of India.

Chennai: I landed in this city in September last year and my first impression was not very good. On my way to hotel, I could see unfinished flyovers, clattered roads, unforgiving traffic and much congestion all along. My first interaction with a tamilian – the cab driver- was also not very pleasant. Neither could he make out of a single word I spoke, nor could I make out of what ever he spoke. We kept on guessing all along the way. That’s Chennai- You got to know the local language.

Days, weeks, months passed by as I began exploring different parts of city and other major tourists spots in Tamil Nadu. I travelled from Marina beach in the east to madras war cemetery in the west and from Sowcarpet in north to Mahabalipuram in the south. My experiences at all these places were completely different. Rock-cut ancient temples at Mahabalipuram speaks of great Tamil lineage, association of French and Tamil is notable at Puducherry and handicraft industry at Kodaikanal is worth mentioning, leave aside the natural beauty all these places have to offer.

I am still at my journey to explore this part of the world and to experience its rich heritage. A lot still to be explored. I will keep on sharing as the journey progress. However, with experiences I had over last one year, my opinion about the city and its inhabitants is now some-what softened. Of all the parts of India I have travelled, this is the place where culture and traditions are given utmost importance. Even in the current world of glitterati, this is the place where inner self is still valued. “Dhotis” and “gajras” is the way of life here- simple living and high thinking. Of course you can contradict me by asking - “What about yearning for gold ornaments?” On this I would say they are investing in the asset in which governments of almost all the countries invest. Isn’t that intelligent!!

You got to live here for sometime to experience the city. Am sure you will much safer than other metros of India. BTW there are other benefits of living in this city- you get to eat lots of dosas/ idly/wadas- experience lots of Rajnikanth/ Amma’s frenzy…



….MIND IT!!

No comments:

Post a Comment